Church Pianist Position
The Church Pianist is a part-time employee with all legally required benefits who serves as soloist and accompanist for Sunday morning services, choir rehearsals, and some special services (Christmas Eve). The beginning salary is $500 per month.
Each year, the pianist plays at 40 services, accompanies the choir, including 20 one-hour rehearsals that precede the service, and attends monthly staff meetings. For each service, the pianist provides suitable pre-service music, a prelude, an offertory, and a postlude, and leads/accompanies the congregation in hymns or other music chosen collaboratively.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience as an accompanist, preferably in a church setting.
- Good sight-reading skills.
- Ability to read and play from open choral scores.
- Broad knowledge of standard piano repertoire.
- Ability to select music suitable to the theme of the service.
- Ability to work collaboratively and supportively with amateurs.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to play multiple genres.
- Ability and willingness to direct the choir at rehearsals and during performances.
Diane Meyerson 510-786-7784