Starr King Unitarian Universalist Church is proud to be a Welcoming Congregation. We embrace the participation of bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender, and genderqueer people inÂ all areas of congregational life.
Our congregation confirmed our commitment to this principle by becoming a Welcoming Congregation in 2001. In 2012-2013 we are renewing our Welcoming Congregation status with a Refresher Program.
What it Means to Be a Welcoming Congregation
As a member of the Welcoming Congregation program, our congregation commits to:
- Be inclusive and expressive of the concerns of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender persons at every level of congressional congregational life.
- Celebrate the lives of all people and welcome same gender couples, recognizing their committed relationships and equally affirming displays of caring and affection with regard to sexual orientation.
- Offer congregational and ministerial support for services of union and memorial services for persons who are bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender and/or queer.
- Seek to nurture ongoing dialogue between bisexual, gay, heterosexual, lesbian, and transgender persons, and create deeper trust and sharing.
- Advocate for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people, attending to legislative developments and working to promote justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society.
- Speak out when the rights of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people are at stake.
Starr King Unitarian Universalist Church continues to affirm our commitment to be a safe and affirming place for all persons regardless of sexual/affectional orientation and gender identity/expresssion, making every effort to create a religious community where everyone is welcomed and cherished for who they are.