Purpose: To inform and engage our congregation and the wider community in a way that reflects our shared principles and passions.
Membership and Meetings: Membership is voluntary – and appreciated! – and meetings are held as needed.
We have big dreams about nourishing and growing the Starr King community! We rely on our amazing volunteers to keep spreading the word via our website, newsletter, social media, and podcasts. These positions are currently open and awaiting your talent:
- Webmaster to keep this website running, backed up, and updated
- Archivist to make sure all our documents are updated and stored safely
- Outreach/PR Team to help promote Starr King’s mission and fun events
In addition, we always welcome writers, editors, photographers, social media stars, and anyone who wants to contribute their creativity to the committee and church. We can train you for any of the tasks listed below. If you are interested, please contact Emily Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maintaining the website (Webmaster)
- Publishing the monthly newsletter (Chalice Editors)
- Posting upcoming services, announcements, and newsletters on the website (Website Editor & Bloggers)
- Sharing services, events, and photos on Facebook (Social Media Team)
- Editing and publishing podcasts of sermons (Podcast Team)
- Moderating the church’s online discussion board (StarrKingSPARK Moderator)
- Supporting anyone who uses our email service to send out information (Chair)
- Promoting our church to the wider community through a variety of media (PR Team)
- Managing the storage of important church documents (Archivist)
- Preparing an annual report (Chair)
Chair of Communications Committee
Position Summary: Emily has been the committee chair since 2017. She leads the committee in its mission to inform and inspire members, visitors, and our wonderful East Bay community.
- Convene and chair committee meetings as needed
- Develop guidelines for editorial style, social media, and photography
- Maintain our email provider lists and email templates. Recommend changes based on reports and periodically send emails on behalf of Official Church list and/or weekly announcements.
- Prepare annual report
- Ensure that all committee responsibilities are met.
- Celebrate our outstanding volunteers!
- Love of writing and editing
- Comfort with or desire to learn about online applications like Constant Contact, which we use to send email
- Bonus: willingness to work with our WordPress website: it’s a great skill to have!
Joyce Kinnear, Emily Watkins
Position Summary: Publish the church e-newsletter, The Flaming Chalice, monthly.
- Remind contributors to turn in relevant content by 20th of each month.
- Review, update, edit and format content, using editing/publishing software.
- Post newsletter on website and send to readership via email.
- Love of writing and editing
- Ability to use a recent version of Microsoft Word
- Willingness to learn to post the newsletter to the website and email via Constant Contact (we will train!)
Position Summary: Make sure all our documents are updated and stored safely
Responsibilities: Store and organize the following types of documents:
- Minutes of meetings of the Board of Trustees
- Core documents (Bylaws, Mission Statement, etc.)
- Policies and Procedures
- Committee descriptions
- Job descriptions
- Techie How To’s
- Basic computer skills
- Organizational skills
- Comfort with Google Docs
Position Summary: Keep our website running, backed up, and updated. Enhance as inspired, or as time permits.
- Keep the website up. (Usually doesn’t require any time.) Work with the hosting company as needed to resolve problems.
- Renew the website hosting before the annual renewal in December.
- Backup the website. Mostly this happens automatically via iPage and WordPress Database Backup
- Update WordPress and Plugins. Check the WordPress dashboard occasionally for WP or plugin updates, and install them. Note that we’ve customized some plugins, so after upgrading you’ll have to reinstall the patch. Never update our WordPress theme, Light of Peace (LOP for short). An update has not been offered, and perhaps never will, but just in case it is – don’t be tempted! We’ve customized it extensively. An update would seriously break the site.
- Update email forwards through iPage as people change jobs (paid or volunteer) in the church. Login to iPage, go to Email (menu) -> Mail Central, and edit (typically) or create email forwards as needed. Mainly this happens when people change jobs at the start of a new fiscal year (July 1).
- Customize the website as requested by the website content manager (as time permits). This could be as simple as changing the sliding photos, or it could involve installing a plugin to add a new capability (eg photo gallery).
- Provide training on the WordPress dashboard. Encourage staff and lay leaders to post their own content and provide training on how to do that. Help with posts as necessary.
- Support minister and staff use of internet technology. Consult with any of the church leadership as requested to support the mission of the church.
- HTML and CSS are essential.
- PHP is also important, but if you know another scripting language you’ll be able to fake it well enough.
- Familiarity with MySQL databases is helpful but little expertise is required.
- You’ll need FTP capability and the ability to edit HTML/PHP and CSS files.
Position Summary: Create and maintain content on the church website.
- Create and maintain content on the church website.
- Respond to comments and complaints about the content.
- Post news and events items.
- Ability to use the WordPress dashboard – training provided
- Comfort writing clearly and concisely, with editing, organization, and research skills
- Knowledge of HTML is a plus
Church Blog Leader
Position Summary: Maintain the church blogs. Currently this consists of receiving monthly updates from our minister and committees and posting them on the website around the beginning of the upcoming month.
- Minister’s Blog
- Religious Exploration Blog
- Other blog entries (varies by month)
After making the updates, please view the church website to confirm everything looks right.
- Very basic computer skills (ex. copy and paste, filling out online forms)
- An editorial sense of what “looks right” on the website
We would love to expand our social media if anyone is interested in experimenting with Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Create content for the public Facebook page and monitor communications
- Add relevant content and pictures to the public page and private group
- Basic computer and Facebook skills
Position Summary: Act as moderator of the church online discussion board on Yahoo Groups.
- Approve or reject requests for membership. Approve all members and friends of the church. Reject others.
- Periodically check member list for “bounces” caused by non-nonfunctional email addresses. Delete non-nonfunctional addresses, and, if appropriate, invite the individual to re-join with a new address.
- Monitor messages for appropriateness. Delete inappropriate messages, and educate the sender.
- Periodically publicize the group, encourage and perhaps invite church members to join.
- Maintain up-to-date instructions on how to join (link needed).
- Ensure that you have a back-up Moderator who can do the tasks in case of your absence.
- Adequate computer skills. (Willingness to explore the site and learn a little.)
- Be registered as Moderator. One of the current Moderators can register you.
- Be able to check email daily almost all the time.
Position Summary: Recording and sharing sermons as podcasts on the church website
- Supervise the team that records worship services on SD cards each Sunday
- Download the worship service to your computer and edit using Audacity software
- Access Podbean to share the sermon as a podcast
- Post on church website and check to make sure recording came out correctly
- Basic computer skills
- Training on Audacity (free download), Podbean, and WordPress software and websites