The Purpose of Poetry
Rev. Dr. Lynn Ungar
What is the purpose of poetry? What is the purpose of religion? How do the two purposes overlap? Our speaker, Rev. Dr. Lynn Ungar, is both a minister and a published poet, and will share some of both her theology and her poetry.
- Time to Sign Up for the Kick Off Barbecue August 22, 2016 The RE Council is sponsoring this year's barbecue at Lake Chabot on Sunday September 11. It will be a very pleasant event for everyone who attends. Please sign up to bring food on the posted sheet in the Fellowship Hall.
- Classes on the World’s Religions to be offered August 22, 2016 The first in a series of nine classes on the World's Religions will be offered on Sunday, September 18, starting at 1:00 p.m. Subsequent classes will include Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, and Primal Religions. The final class ties them all together. Come to as many as you like. Sign up in the Fellowship Hall. More ...
- We Have a New Minister! May 15, 2016 At today's Congregational Meeting the congregation voted unanimously to call Reverend Doctor Maria Cristina Vlassidis Burgoa as our new settled minister. May our mutual happiness be long lasting!
- Meet a Candidate for UUA President
- 09/01/2016 - 7:00 PM - First UU Church of Oakland
- Reverend Maria Cristina's First Service as Our Settled Minister
- 09/04/2016 - 10:30 AM - Starr King UU Church
- Fall Kickoff BBQ
- 09/11/2016 - 12:00 PM - Lake Chabot Regional Park
- World's Religions Class #1: Introduction and Hinduism
- 09/18/2016 - 1:00 PM - Sanctuary
- Dream Workshop Weekend
- 09/30/2016 - 10/01/2016 - 7:00 PM - First United Methodist Church
- Weed and Feed
- 10/08/2016 - 10:00 AM - Starr King UU Church
- Mystery Dinner: "Lights, Camera . . . Murder!"
- 10/15/2016 - 10/16/2016 - 2:00 PM - Starr King UU Church
When our children were much younger we shopped churches in the East Bay that were family friendly. My wife and I came from different religious backgrounds, so we were looking for a church that felt warm and welcoming to both of us. We attended Starr King several times but failed to realize that we each were enamored with the church and thought the other one was not that much interested. Years passed and Read the full testimonial.