Starr King Unitarian Universalist Church acknowledges that Hayward, California, is Ohlone land. For thousands of years this land was inhabited by people who lived here peacefully and cared for it in a way that honored all that was here before us. We hope that we can amplify that truth and learn from the Ohlone people what it means to be stewards of this beautiful land, and to be inspired to form meaningful relationships with local indigenous peoples working to protect this sacred land, repair injustices, and move forward together in honorable ways.
- Muwekma Tribe of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Sogorea Te’ Land Trust
- West Berkeley Shell Mound
- Cal State East Bay C.E. Smith Anthropology Museum: Native Californian Stories
The Amah Mutsun Tribal Band’s sacred ground of Juristac is threatened by a proposed open pit sand and gravel mine.
How You Can Help
- Sign the “Save Juristac” petition and ask your friends, family and congregation to sign
- Schedule our 30 minute Juristac slide show at your church. (45 minutes with Q&A, via Zoom) Contact Colleen Cabot (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Beth Ogilvie (email@example.com).
- Write a letter of support for Juristac to Santa Clara County, CA, officials.
- Follow Protect Juristac on Instagram and amplify their message #ProtectJuristac #AmahMutsun
Please contact Colleen Cabot (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Beth Ogilvie (email@example.com) for more information about how to get involved.
Learn to be an Ally
These short documents contain a valuable introduction to the role of ally! They can be used for individual study or as the basis for group discussions.