Our passion for building a more just and compassionate world becomes real through the acts of individuals and the work of three committees.
The Peace and Justice Action Team (PAJAT) works to address state, national, and global issues relevant to our shared passions and principles.
Interweave BGLTQ is “Unitarian Universalists for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender concerns.”
The Anti Racism Multicultural Alliance (ARMCA) works to:
- Increase the readiness of the congregation to become more fully multicultural by encouraging learning, fellowship, and healing.
- Engage individually and as a congregation in creating a more just society by working to dismantle institutional racism and unconscious bias.
ARMCA sponsors programs, events, workshops, and classes to increase awareness of conscious and unconscious racism and the unearned advantages that constitute White privilege. ARMCA actions have included:
- Church common read book sale and discussion. Books have included
- The 3rd Reconstruction by the Rev. Dr. William Barber (2016-2017 church year)
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- The New Jim Crow by MIchele Alexander
- The Death of Josseline by Margaret Regan
- ARMCA Movie Night! (Selma, Dear White People)
- Countering Islamophobia with
- Helped found Eden Area Interfaith Council (EAIC)
- Open letter to the Muslim community signed by 90 church members
- Helped organize panel of Muslim speakers at Castro Valley library
- A congregational resolution in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, passed unanimously by the congregation in November, 2015.
- Attending the Ministerial Search Committee’s “Beyond Categorical Thinking” workshop in 2015 to help foster strong conversations.
- Congregational workshop on micro aggressions
Please join us! Click either team name for meeting details.