We love our beautiful green space and invite you to enjoy this sanctuary of peace. Maintaining an accredited Green Sanctuary is one of the ways Starr King works toward our vision of a healthy and sustainable future.
Accredited Green Sanctuary
The Green Sanctuary Program is an accreditation process sponsored by the UU Ministry for Earth. We achieved the status of Green Sanctuary in 2010. Our Green Sanctuary Committee continues to keep this principle alive in our congregation.
As we enjoy our Green Sanctuary, we also live with a deep awareness of climate change and profound environmental injustices. In response we commit to four practices grounded the UU principle of respect for the interdependent web of existence:
- Local Organizations: We partner with local organizations and the UU Ministry for Earth to reach out to marginalized communities who are hit first and hardest by environmental crisis.
- Worship and Celebration: Worship inspires our work and reminds us of what is most sacred and true. We honor earth-based practices, especially at the annual Earth Day Fair.
- Religious Education: Our programs for all ages shape attitudes and build practices that are sustainable and spiritually-grounded. Our youth are learning to grow their own garden!
- Sustainable Living: We treat the world more gently by using fewer resources and being mindful of the choices we make, both as a congregation and as households.
These are other committees who help us live up to our green sanctuary accreditation and values:
- Grounds Ministry, who put the “green” in green sanctuary and maximize our use of native, drought-resistant plants
- Interior Ministry, focusing on our kitchen, cleaning, and waste disposal practices
- Religious Exploration Council encouraging environmentally relevant learning, such as working in our vegetable garden
- Worship Committee ensures we keep environmental topics in our worship services and even makes sure to purchase sustainable candles!